This one is a special request from Dr. Irlbeck. I made these once and she fell in love! I’ve adapted this recipe from Betty Crocker’s Almond, Apricot, White Chocolate Decadence Bars. There’s a few steps involved to create it and an ingredient I didn’t even know existed until I made this, but no worries it’s not too complicated!
- 1 pkg. Sugar Cookie mix (I just buy the cheap stuff)
- 1 pkg. (7 or 8 oz.) almond paste
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 pkg. (6-8 oz. apricots), chopped
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 bag (12 oz.) white chocolate chips
- Sliced or chopped almonds, for topping
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Mix sugar cookie mix according to package. Spread in one layer in a 9×13 pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- While the cookie base is baking, chop apricots.
- Cool cookie base for 10 minutes.
- In an electric mixer, mix almond paste and sugar until crumbly and blended.
The first time I made this, I had no idea what almond paste was or even where to find it in the store. Almond paste comes in a long, skinny box, and in my grocery store, is by the marzipan near the chocolate chips. Here’s what my mixture looked like.
6. Add apricots and beat on low speed until combined.
7. Add cream cheese, eggs and lemon juice and beat on medium speed until well blended.
If it looks like a chunky, soupy consistency, you did it right.
8. Pour over warm cookie base.
9. Bake 20 minutes.
10. Cool for 30 minutes.
11. Melt white chocolate chips in microwave on 70% power for 1 minute. Mix, and, if needed, microwave for another
20 seconds on 70% power.
12. Pour on top.
13. Sprinkle sliced or chopped almonds on top.
14. Refrigerate for 2 hours and then slice into bars and serve.